Photography: focal lengths
- These are some notes about my views on lens focal lengths. They are
in 35mm, if you have a crop sensor like a Fuji or Nikon or Sony you
need to divide it by 1.6 or multiply it to go the other way; or 1.5
for Canon. For example a 35mm on 35mm film is 23mm on a Fuji.
- Fisheye: a fisheye should have 180 degrees of view, it is the widest
you can go and keep a square image. I have one true 180 degrees one
that is a 12mm.
- 35mm: I think this focal length is the perfect when you just want to
walk around shooting snapshots
- 50mm: Great if you want a little bit more control of what's in the
image than a 35; also great if you want soemthing that's good for
both portraits and snapshots.
- 70-90mm: The perfect for portraits.
- I prefer primes, because they are much easier to shoot with one
handed; and I prefer the smallest lens possible over the lowest